Book Blogger Hop topic for the week of June 26 – July 2: When you run out of bookshelf space, what do you do? (submitted by Elizabeth @ Silver’s Reviews)
What I do when I run out of bookshelf space, which happens more than I care to admit despite ebooks and library books:
- I refuse to acknowledge the realities of physics and continue to cram books 2-4 deep on the shelves. I also use stacking instead of the more traditional horizontal placements.
- I wedge stacks in wherever I can without endangering my cats.
- Try to convince hubs that the stacks of are actually impromptu end tables (this never really works but I keep trying with dogged persistence.)
- I look for books I may have borrowed and return them ASAP.
- I bite the bullet and cull the herd.
- With multiple copies, I choose just one to keep.
- Tattered or worn books get replaced with ebooks unless the physical copies have sentimental reasons for being kept.
- Books about topics I’m no longer interested in have to go.
- Books whose authors I’ve since discovered to be problematic have to go.
Once I have a box of books to be re-homed, depending on the condition, I:
- Give them to friends with the stipulation of no backsies.
- Donate them to a Little Free Library.
- Donate them to an actual library.
- Donate them to a charity shop.
What do you do when you run out of bookshelf space? Let me know your solutions in the comments.